Itching in vaginal opening, bled after scratching. Why are the vaginal lips swollen? Will obanate M cream help?

Hi, i had itching in my vaginal opening for 7 - 8 months. I ignored it and the itching became severe gradually. 4-5 months ago, i rubbed it with a tissue paper due to itchiness and it got cut and bled a bit. I then applied a powder on it. The itching did not stop and recently the lips are very swollen and it burns to pass urine. I also had sex however it started only 2-3 months ago and i think it has helped in increasing the prob. I m seeing a doctor and she has given me antibiotics through IV as the infection is very severe. But, she does not know about the physical contact. I just want to be sure that being physical is not a cause and will it be treated soon? Yes, one more thing, the swelling part started when i used neo-clobenate gm and it burns when i apply it. Now i m using obanate m cream. doc tested me and i do not have uti as culture report is negative but urine routine shows 20-25 pus cells and mucus as well
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 7 hours later
You most probably seem to have a severe case of vaginal infection/vaginitis.
Its caused due to infection/inflammation of the vaginal mucosa. It mostly occurs due to bad hygiene and an imbalance in the vaginal flora causing swelling,redness,itching.
Sexual contact can aggravate the symptoms so its best to avoid contact till you are asymptomatic. You will definitely need a course of antibiotics and you can use vaginal cream like clotrimazole.Also you can take probiotic capsules like Tab. Ecoflora which will help in balancing the flora in the vagina. You also need to make sure your blood sugar levels are normal.Good hygiene is most important.
The urine report shows thus,since the vaginal infection has contaminated the sample.
If you are getting iv antibiotics then your symptoms should improve soon.

Follow-up: Itching in vaginal opening, bled after scratching. Why are the vaginal lips swollen? Will obanate M cream help? 24 hours later
Thank you for the reply. i was worried if i am being cured correctly as it is the 6th injection i have taken today but i am not fine yet. My fever has gone; however, the swelling is still there which pains and whenever urine touches there it burns for 3-4 mints. Also, if i fail to drink water, it hurts alot to pass the urine. Right now i am taking IV antibiotic, odicon tablet and applying obenate m cream. i feel better healthwise, however my swelling,which is severe and urine problem still persits. Also, i get body ache or tenderness to touch a few times. Just need to ask, does it generally take long time to cure. The problem became severe on Sat, 14th april. i m taking medicines since Sunday night and have not been cured completely yet. I hope i m following the right procedure and if yes then just want to confirm if this is going to take time.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 3 hours later
Hello again,
It will take sometime for you to feel well completely.After all,the infection seems to be a severe one.This is what we broadly call 'Pelvic Inflammatory Disease' and your symptoms are part of the entity. I suggest that you continue the treatment you are receiving .You will need to drink plenty of fluids so that your urine is diluted to reduce the pain. It shouldnt be long before the rest of your symptoms get relieved.