Itching after sun exposure, red patches, hair loss, bloating. Medication?

Question
Hello Doctor, I am 36 yrs male weighing 80kgs. From last many years i am suffering from skin problems. During winters, whenever I am exposed to direct sunlight, i get acute itching ( like someone is piercing needles) throughout my body and on scratching it leaves red patches/marks. However, it subsides in few minutes as I move away from direct sunlight. I am also suffering from excessive loss and thinning of hair that is leading to baldness. I also have gastric problem and especially after eating food I have bloated feeling. Please advise medicine especially for my skin and hair loss problems.

AAAAA
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 21 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Two possibilities are coming to my mind from your symptoms and these need to be evaluated.

These include:

1) Solar urticaria: It is the development of hives (itchy red rashes) minutes after exposure to the sun, which resolve in less than 1 hour. Apply a good sunscreen with minimum SPF (Sun Protection Factor) 30 atleast half an hour before going out in the sun. If the rash appears then take non-sedating antihistamines such as Cetirizine or Loratadine (Claritin) after getting them prescribed from your doctor.

Short courses of oral cortisone or steroids are taken for short periods (one to three days) to settle more severe symptoms. You may take Vitamin C along with the prescribed treatment. Vitamin C is a general anti-allergy supplement.

2) Secondly you should get your thyroid profile done as it can cause itchy skin as well as hair loss. You should get your thyroid hormone and TSH (Thyroid stimulating Hormone) levels done.

Regarding the bloating sensation, it can be due to gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Avoid alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, chocolate, spicy or greasy foods. Consume cold foods preferably liquids like milk and yoghurt.

Avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. You may also need antacids and proton pump inhibitor drugs for controlling the stomach acid.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

Follow-up: Itching after sun exposure, red patches, hair loss, bloating. Medication? 26 hours later
Thanks doctor for your reply. Could you please suggest any proton pump inhibitor drugs for controlling the stomach acid.
One of my friend who is also suffering from Hair loss has suggested me a drug namely BTN plus/Btn Ultra. Pls advise me whether the said medicines are of any help for me.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

There are many PPI drugs (proton pump inhibitors) available like Omeprazole, Rabeprazole, Pantoprazole etc and you can get them prescribed from your doctor.

BTN plus is a multivitamin tablet. There should be no side effects if you take it as prescribed by your doctor.