Is wearing an eye mask while sleeping beneficial?

hi is wearing an eye mask at nights while sleeping beneficial for the eyes?
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Aids in sound sleep. Detailed Answer: Welcome to XXXXXXX XXXX, Eye masks are made of thick fabric which create a state of darkness in light conditions. By blocking out light and creating a state of darkness it helps in release of a substance called Melatonin which aids in sound sleep. That is the only benefit of eye masks. They have no effect on a persons vision, though it may indirectly help in alleviating headche due to lack of sleep. Please do get back to us if you have any further query. Regards,
Follow-up: Is wearing an eye mask while sleeping beneficial? 27 hours later
so I take it that you don't recommend that I wear one if I'm sleeping at nights in a room with the lights of and there isn't no or very little sound around me. I've been wearing an eyemask at nights for 2 or 3 days and I think it irritates my eyes.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 49 minutes later
My dear, thanks for getting back to us. routinelywe do not need a eye mask in normal circumstances,in a dark room.They are for special occasions,like a flight where you do not have much of control on external parameters. do get back to us in case of any further query in this regard.