Is weakness, elevated CK level and nerve damage in C5 due to hypothyroidism?

I have had hypothyroidism for 12 years. Having leg weakness now, foot drop, and fasics in legs and arms. CK level is elevated. EMG's show nerve damage at C5 and down. Thyroid levels are normal, but weakness is getting worse by the day. White male, 54, 5'10", 180 lbs.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Your symptoms are typical of a degenerative neuropathy.The nerve damage is wide spread and generalized. Although it is difficult to reverse the nerve damage completely but we can definitely stop the further damage.
Lifestyle modifications like maintaining an optimal weight, following an exercise program supervised by a physician, avoiding exposure to toxins, correcting deficiences with vitamins like methylcobalamin supplements at least 1500mcg daily, eating a well balanced diet, and by limiting or avoiding the consumption of alcohol, we can limit the further damage.
Physiotherapy and exercises will prevent further muscle weakness and muscular atrophy.
You can keep an eye on your blood glucose levels to rule diabetes as one of the precipitating factors. Preventing neuropathy is much easier than curing it.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.