Is trouble releasing urine and pain in back due to kidney problem?

I have trouble releasing all of my urine and I have pain in my left side of my back witch gets pretty bad and seems that it swelling could this be my kidney?
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...given below. Detailed answer... Hello, Thanks for the query. Your symptoms of pain in left back with problem in passing urine gives rise to strong suspicion of either a urinary tract infection or kidney stones or both ,although there could be other causes for severe pain like ovarian cysts,fibroid tumors,herniated disc etc. You need to consult a doctor for getting the basic tests like urinalysis and an ultrasound abdomen along with a possible MRI done to find out the exact cause. Treatment would depend upon finding the cause. If it is a simple urine infection,then treatment would be to take a proper course of antibiotics. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks
Follow-up: Is trouble releasing urine and pain in back due to kidney problem? 2 days later
I have just seen a doctor for the urinary problem he gave me Premarin vaginal cream but I don't see how that will help me I also have pain like a head ache but it is like heaviness in my temples and I hear the sound like crickets in my head all the time. what can cause this Im 65 years old
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Hello, I am myself amazed and surprised by the treatment offered to you. In my opinion you should either discuss with your treating doctor again or may take a alternate opinion from some other doctor. As far as headache and heaviness in temples is concerned,the most likely reason is high blood pressure,although cervical spondylitis or even sinusitis can also cause the same symptoms. Get your blood pressure checked at the earliest. Best of luck Thanks
Follow-up: Is trouble releasing urine and pain in back due to kidney problem? 20 hours later
I do have chronic sinusitis and High Blood Pressure so that makes sense about the pressure on my temples but this cricket sound drives me crazy. Is there anything I can do about it to make it go away?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 53 minutes later
Hello, This could be due to tinnitus. Tinnitus can be caused by various reasons like ear wax build up,congested eustachian tubes,ruptured ear drum,meniere's disease,high cholesterol and triglycerides,use of sedatives,pain killers and antidepressants,diabetes etc. sometimes a vascular inner ear problem can also result in such noises. You must consult an ENT specialist for proper evaluation so that a proper cause can be identified. Thanks