Is there chance of infection due to french kiss with a sex worker ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
i had french kissed a sex worker, is there chance of getting infected...should i get my self tested..is there any test which can be done earliest in india
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Do you have weakness, chronic diarrhea or recent weight loss ?

By medical literature, it is seen that saliva contains a substance that does not allow HIV virus to grow. So unless there is an open sore or wound in the mouth of sex worker's or yourself there is potentially no chance of transmission of HIV infection by French kissing alone.

You may get tested if you have done more than just French kissing. Earliest test to become positive within a week is p24 antigen assay. You can get tested for the same at a Government Hospital.

Next time be careful because if you have any wound in your mouth and she also has, the infection can spread.

HIV antibody test like ELISA can be done once now and again after 3 months to confirm.

Eat a balanced diet. Exercise daily. Practice safe sex with condom. Contact with body fluids does spread HIV, like semen, vaginal discharge, blood as well. Kindly take care.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.

Follow-up: Is there chance of infection due to french kiss with a sex worker ? 11 hours later
thanks for reply...i have not done anything more than kissing and i did not have any open wound in my mouth.i dont know about her..but my peace of mind is disturbed

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 38 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

I can understand your concern about this condition. Kindly do not fear prematurely. Let's take things one step at a time.

hiv/253657?iL=true" >AIDS has extremely less chance to spread by mouth because saliva prevents growth of HIV. Since HIV needs blood to spread, if you did not have a sore, then very hard for the virus to spread. Besides you do not know if the Sex worker was HIV positive.

Please remain positive as much as possible.

You can get the p24 antigen test which can be done within a week or two from the time of exposure.

Do not worry. Get the test done as soon as possible to rest your fears.

Kindly practice safe sex henceforth to eliminate chances of spreading of any kind of infection.

Wishing good health.

Follow-up: Is there chance of infection due to french kiss with a sex worker ? 9 hours later
thanks doctor..i did my p24 it turned out to be negative..i work in merchant navy...for me i fear so much because my career is at stake....should i take it again or is it fine

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 26 minutes later
Hi there.

If p24 is negative within 1-3 weeks after exposure then less chance of being infected with HIV.

However I recommend you to do the HIV antibody Western Blot testing once now and again after 3 months. This is confirmatory for the absence of HIV virus if it is negative now and again after 3 months.

I hope I have answered your query.

Wishing good health.