Is there any supplements that reduce ferritin levels?

Are there any supplements that reduce ferritin levels, [It's called chelation I believe] Thank you!
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Chelation therapy and other options explained sir Detailed Answer: Hello sir and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. I shall approach your query in two ways, one includes the information you are asking for, and the other includes the extra information that you might be unaware of. Starting with chelation therapy; this is a method that falls under the category of alternative medicine. Although this therapy is not widely accepted or used or in other words relied upon, it has proved to be beneficial in many individuals. This therapy includes the introduction of certain medication that will promote the binding of the component that is in excess (in your case ferritin) to other compounds and promoting either their excretion through the body naturally or through breakdown. Chelation therapy includes a number of visits to the alternative medicine doctor and is slightly time-consuming, but may or may not guarantee results. For elevated ferritin levels you will require the use of chelators like desferrioxamine or EDTA. Please speak to your doctor regarding the same. As for the extra information I would like to provide; this includes other appraoches to reducing your ferritin levels, along with a few precautions and investigations to check/rule out the serious outcomes that can result from an elevated ferritin level. First the required investigations: -Liver biopsy: This is required as the elevated ferritin levels can result in an iron overload in your liver, resulting in very serious outcomes for the liver Other treatment options: -Empirical phlebotomy -Blood donation: Has been proven in a recently published international medical journal to reduce ferritin levels -Diet: Reduce the intake of food containing iron(eg. bread, red meat, cereals, spinach, food containing or made with yeast, etc.) I hope you find my response both helpful and informative sir. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.