Is there any side effect of Placentrex 2ml injection ?

Question
Hi Doctor/Madam,
May I know if there any side effect of Placentrex 2ml injection ? Doctor told me to take 20 injections daily without break for treatment of vitiligo. I have completed 15 Placentrex injection. still the response of this injection not known ? Should I continue this ? Please suggest me.
Thanking you in anticipation.
Yours sincerely,
XXXXXXX from Guwahati,India
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 30 minutes later
Hello.

Hope the diagnosis is rightly made. The course of vitiligo is unpredictable.

Placentrex- placental extracts is the latest modality in the treatment of vitiligo. The rationale for its use is that, vitiligo is an autoimmune disorder and placental extract is a biostimulant, and it also contains trace elements like Zn, Cu and tyrosine (a precursor of melanin). This promotes melanin synthesis by supplying the amino acid, tyrosine, as well as encouraging copper tyrosinase linkage. The efficacy of dermabrasion combined with Placentrex gel was 23.3% at 4 months and 46.7% at 6 months. Check if your doctor is looking for Dermabrasion also.

You may want to read about different therapeutic modalities for vitiligo in at this site, WWW.WWWW.WW
Placental extract (Placentrix) when given I/M alongwith oral psoralen and topical corticosteroids with exposure to direct sunlight after two hours has been reported to give encouraging results rather than psoralens alone.
You can continue taking these injections along with other treatments that have been given to you along with regular exposure to sunlight. This treatment has been shown to produce 36% better results.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Regards.

Follow-up: Is there any side effect of Placentrex 2ml injection ? 24 hours later

Respected Madam,

Thanks for your details reply. I am very much impressed on your comments and recommendation. I'll be more happy is you kindly prescribed the name of medicines of Oral psoralen and topical corticosteroids.

With warm regards.

Yours sincerely,
XXXXXXX Singha, from Guwahati, Assam, India

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 46 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

The drugs, I mentioned are prescription medicines. They are given after the patient is fully examined.

Since I haven’t physically examined you, it is inappropriate and unethical to prescribe you scheduled drugs. Moreover it is ideal that the symptoms are monitored closely while on these medications.

Hence you will have to see the dermatologist for the medicine that you require.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.