Is there any need for a colonoscopy if i have reddish,blood like stools?

I have had reddish looking bowels with some reddish looking blood that pooled away when I flushed. This happened 3 times and only after I ate beets, but not every time I eat beets. I had a mail-in colon exam that turned out negative. Is there any need for a colonoscopy? I would like to avoid this if possible, mostly for financial reasons.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 37 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. I can understand your concern.

It is true that eating beets temporarily turn stools and urine red. This may be mistaken for blood in urine. You have got a mail in colon examination done. It is true that bleeding close to the anus. But the red streaks have appeared after eating beets and hence the possibility of staining of stools from beetroot is an important possibility.

Before going in for colonoscopy which is an expensive and slightly uncomfortable test, it is better that you get a stool examination done for occult blood. This test can detect even hidden blood in stool. So get it done and if it comes positive then colonoscopy can be discussed with a doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.