Is there any medicine to clean a child's ear without using ear buds?

ENT Specialist
My kids are not keeping buds inside the ear to cleaning. Do we have any medicine that can clean with out using buds
Posted Sun, 22 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Ear wax is only produced in the outer two-thirds of the external ear canal. Normally, the ear canal is self cleansing due to shedding of skin from the center of the eardrum outwards.

2. Frequent use of ear buds can push the earwax into the deeper end (near the eardrum) where the ear wax may build up.

3. The ear canal is narrower in the isthmus which is near the junction of the inner cartilaginous and inner bony part. If a wax plug is formed beyond the isthmus, it has to be dissolved with wax dissolving ear drops such as Soliwax or Waxolve. Use 3-4 drops 3-4 times a day for at least a week or two.

4. Sometimes with a couple of weeks of wax dissolving ear drops the wax may come out on it's own. Hydrogen peroxide or ear wax candles are no longer used. Use of edible ear oil is not advised as it is a good medium for bacterial growth. Mullein ear oil (Homeopathic) is also good for use later.

5. Usually the ear wax is syringed out or removed under the microscope by an ENT Specialist after a week or two of using the ear drops regularly.

6. If the ear wax plug is XXXXXXX in the bony ear canal, use of ear drops may cause it to expand slightly causing discomfort and sometimes pain. A mild painkiller may be required for a couple of days till the wax softens completely.

7. Small children may not allow examination or removal easily. Sometimes a short acting anesthetic may be necessary.

8. At times, there may be infection behind a very tight ear wax plug. This normally settles soon after the ear wax is removed.

9. I must emphasize that there is no cause for worry.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Is there any medicine to clean a child's ear without using ear buds? 10 hours later
Thanks a lot for your valuable information, i will buy any one of the drop to use for both kids Soliwax or Waxolve. Use 3-4 drops 3-4 times a day for at least a week or two.

Please close this case.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Please remember to have their ears examined by a local ENT Specialist after a week or two, for cleaning, if necessary.

Wishing you all good health.