Is there any limit for number of cesareans?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I'm 40 years old and good health. I've had 3 healthy pregnancies and babies. My oldest is 12 and youngest just tuned 8. I have had C-sections due to having a "heart shaped" pelvic bone. My husband and I would really like to have another baby. We hear different opinions as far as how many C-sections are ok to have and then of course age. Last baby the doctor said everything looked fine to have another baby...that was eight years ago. I know that many women are having babies later in life. Pease let me know your thoughts. Thank you, XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. Generally there is usually no limit to the number of caesareans you can have. However, the more caesareans you have, there is more possiblity of complications,but this risk is minor and it shouldnt discoourage you in having another baby. Today,cesareans are safe and pregnancies are monitored closely especially if complications are expected. your age isnt problematic for pregnancy as well. It is known that age >40 carry certain risks,but again,this risk is not big and there are some preventive tests and follow up algortihms for women +40. In first case I mean: more often ultarsound checks, amniocentesis and closer monitoring of blood findings,BP and blood sugar. So I think that you should not worry,just do what you both think is the best and if new pregnancy come,your gynaecologist will help you to avoid possible complications. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards