Is there any connection between pancreas divisum and low blood sugar?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
Is there any connection with pancreas diversum and low blood sugar I wake up sweating and agitaed .with my head hurting I'm weak Have a hard time sleeping. I have no energy.
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

There is no connection between "pancreas divisum" (I guess you have mispelt the term) and blood sugars. I have explained the reasons below.

Pancreas divisum is an anatomical (i.e.) structural defect of the pancreas, where the problem lies in the pancreatic duct. Though most cases are asymptomatic, some persons can have a blockage to the normal flow of pancreatic enzymes. In such cases, surgery may be required to enlarge the opening of the duct in order to re-establish normal flow.

Abnormalities in blood sugars (as in diabetes) is due to a physiological (i.e.) functional problem with certain specific cells in the pancreas - called the islets of Langerhans.

So, a structural defect in the duct of the pancreas is unrelated to the functioning of the specialized cells responsible for regulation of blood sugar.

You need a detailed evaluation for your symptoms. Waking up sweating and agitated can be a symptom of nocturnal panic attacks, or rarely, even a cardiac problem. It is likely that the disturbed sleep is causing you to feel run down with no energy. So, please have a proper check up with your doctor in order to determine the cause of your symptoms.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist