Is the reason for swollen eyes,constipation,indigestion and depression my hypothyroidism?

Hello Doctor - I am suffering from Hypothyroidism from the last 20 years.
Now i am a 34 years old woman with a healthy daughter of 8 years.
I take 150mg of Eltroxin on a daily basis.
There are some health issues that i have been facing for the last 2 years and need help -

1. Eyes are swollen when i wake up in the mornings (the swollen-ness subsides by evening)
2. Major constipation issue.
3. Swelling in the entire body - especially face and legs.
4. Laziness throughout the day
5. Indigestion
6. Stomach feels bloated even after eating small portions of food.
7. feel depressed at times which effects my professional life too.

Please help !!
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 4 hours later

Hypothyroidism if not adequately treated can lead to multiple symptoms. These include, unexplained weight gain, constipation, hair fall, fatigue and tiredness, menstrual disturbances, mood changes and swelling over body.

Most of your symptoms can be related to Hypothyroidism and you will need evaluate to assess your thyroid function.

You might consider getting a Complete Health Check up done to evaluate your organ functions such as hemoglobin, kidney function tests and liver function tests and so on so that we can get insight into your problems.

Some of your symptoms, such as indigestion, bloating are suggestive of Gastritis and GERD and will improve with Pantoprazole and antacids. Do consult your doctor for the same.

So consult a physician and get a health check up. Do consider to get a thyroid function repeated.

Although, I do not suspect any serious illness, further evaluation of your symptoms is a prerequisite

Hope this answers your query. Please get back if you need any further information

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran