Is the abdominal pain i have due to ovulation pain or appendicitis?

39 y/o female - 6 months post partum.
My cycle is slowly returning to normal but I the last day or so I've had an achy feeling in my lower abdomen and back. I wouldn't call it painful but more nagging. I know that I am currently ovulating but how can I be sure it is not appendicitis since it is on the rightt side. I have noticed ovualation pains in the past so this would not be unusual. I guess I'm just looking for some key differences between ovulation pain and appendicitis. I did try the "rebound" trick and my abdomen does not hurt when I press on it. No fever, vomiting or naseau. No difficulty using the restroom. Appetite is normal.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 2 hours later
Hello Jsweet,

From the question it seems that you want to differentiate acute appendicitis from the probable pain of ovulation.

Pain first, vomiting next and fever last has been described as classic presentation of acute appendicitis‎. A Typical case of appendicitis usually presents as abdominal pain beginning in the region of the umbilicus for several hours, associated with anorexia, nausea or vomiting. The pain then "settles" into the right lower quadrant, where tenderness develops. Atypical histories lack this typical progression and may include pain in the right lower quadrant as an initial symptom.

The pain on a scale of 1 to 10, would be in the range of 7 to 10, and would be difficult to tolerate by most individuals.

Since your pain is probably very tolerable, and you do not have the associated symptoms as mentioned above the chances of appendicitis might be very less.

Most probably you may get symptomatic relief by the use of bismuth tablets (Pepto-Bismol).

I hope this helps.