Is temporary rise in BP due to systolic hypertension ok?

Hi I'm 26 male with slight systolic hypertension. I exercise 3x per week and my diet is average quality.

I just measured my BP after playing an intense video game and it was 182/92. It gradually decresed after that.

Is this XXXXXXX such that I should not play video games because of the temporary high BP?

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 minutes later
Temporary rise in blood pressure is expected whenever there is secretion of excessive adrenaline due to excitement, stress and anxiety.Sometimes the release of adrenaline is more depending on the level of excitement and such a sudden rise of blood pressure might be XXXXXXX
You have been diagnosed with a systolic hypertension and i presume you are not taking any anti hypertensive medication for it ( you have not mentioned any such medicine in your history). I would advise you to get a suitable anti hypertensive prescribed for your self by your physician which will prevent such a sudden fluctuation in your blood pressure levels.
Practicing yoga and meditation will also help to control such sudden variations to a large extent. You can also get an ECG and treadmill test done to diagnose any possible changes such a sudden stress might have on your heart and body.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Is temporary rise in BP due to systolic hypertension ok? 36 minutes later
Thank you for your reply.

Indeed, I am not currently taking any hypertensive medication and am hesitant to start as it is a life long decision and my average BP of 143/79 (measured over several months) is rather borderline, I've been told.

I forgot to mention that I am 6'1 and around 175 lbs, so there are no obesity issues.

I will take your advice to see a local Cardiologist to get an ECG and Treadmill Test.

Just to recap, you would advise against me playing video games that cause my BP to rise at all or just limit myself to short sessions? For example, if I play for one hour with a BP around 180/90, would you consider that dangerous?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
A BP of 180/90 is also XXXXXXX enough. I cannot allow you to indulge in any activity which puts you under any stress causing sudden rise of BP until your BP is stabilized on an antihypertensive medication. Delaying the treatment only adds to your risk.
Wishing you an early recovery.