Is swollen lymph nodes a sign of cancer and what are the findings from the child's complete blood count test?

We have a worry about our toddler 3y8mo old girl. She has had swollen lymph nodes now for nearly 2 months. We went to show them to the doctors and they said straight away that the tonsils are way too enlarged and that the lymph nodes are directly connected with this. I have attached the answer of the ultrasound which i translated with google translate, hopefully it makes sense. Today we also visited pediatrician and she confirmed that she would rather have the tonsils removed. They are not swollen but enlarged very much. Since we also did a blood test and this showed some non normal figures, she referred us to the haematolgist which totally freaked us out. She said that this is not about cancer, rather this is about to finally calming us down. When we did this CBC, the girls has got another cold, this time with no fever, just some cough and running nose with dark yellow phlegm. Please advise what do the results indicate and should we worry about cancer (leukemia or lymphoma or sth like that). XXXX Please also advise if this OK to remove the tonsils or should they be rather kept? If we keep them, could it mean that the lymph nodes remain swollen every time she catches gold? In this part of the world, there is 8-9 months of crappy weather... Would taking to the warmer climate for a week or two help?
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Reassurance Detailed Answer: thank you for sending the question. This is a very good question. I want to tell you that the blood count is slightly abnormal but this is consistent with possibly some type of viral infection that she may be dealing with right now. I would recommend repeat complete blood count in about three or four weeks. Regarding the tonsils this is something that only the surgeon can recommend. It would not be XXXXXXX to remove these although there are risks associated with any operation. Please review these with your doctors. Otherwise moving to a different climate will not necessarily help. thank you again for sending the question. Please let us know if there are any additional concerns that you would like us to review with you. Sincerely, Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Is swollen lymph nodes a sign of cancer and what are the findings from the child's complete blood count test? 4 minutes later
But does the blood count indicate, does it show leukemia?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Folowup Detailed Answer: Hello again. The blood count does not show leukemia. Please discuss this with your primary care physician. Again I think it is reasonable to repeat the complete blood count in a few weeks. I am fairly confident that the account will improve. If not consultation with a pediatric hematologist would be reasonable. Sometimes additional testing can be done to make sure there is nothing else going on. Thanks again for sending your question. Dr. G