Is surgery a good option for herniated disc and bulging disc with numbness in legs?

I have a bulging herniated disc at l4/5 and a bulging disc at l5 s1. Inflamation has been detected in the thecal sca in that region. I experience numbness, stiffness in my legs and pain in the bottom of my feet. I have received steroid injections in the area that help somewhat temporarily. Is surgery a good option for me. The thecal sac is compressed to about 50 percent of width at l45. Should I have disc replacement surgery?
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes, i strongly encourage surgery Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this low back herniated disc, pains and the associated neurological symptoms. From the information you have provided, surgical management is the next best step for you. Surgery will provide more relief that would last longer than the repeated injections. This will also limit the repeated injections which increase the risk of possible reaction inflammation and infection of the spine which is greatly feared. If there are no contraindications to surgery, please give it a strong though for the above reasons. I hope this helps. I wish you the best of possible outcomes. Feel free to ask for more clarifications if need be. Dr. Ditah, MD.