Is suboxone a good treatment for heroin addiction?

Psychiatrist
Question
HELLO,MY SON IS WANTING,FINALLY TO GET CLEAN. I WOULD LIKE TO HELP HIM,BUT NOT SURE HOW BEST TO DO THAT. HE ISN TELLING ME ABOUT SOBOXONE AND BELIEVES THAT WILL HELP HIM WITH THE WITHDRWLS FROM HIS HEROIN ADDICTION. WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS AND WERE CAN I FIND HELP IN MY LOCAL AREA. WE ARE LOCATED IN BRENTWOOD CA 94513(NORTHERN CA).
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: suboxone is a good option. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. Suboxone is a good option as a step down before leaving heroin completely. It has buprenorphine and naloxone and is easier to leave as compared to heroin. In my clinic as well I make many of patients start on suboxone before completely going of it. After taking suboxone for 2 weeks he can stop that as well. Regarding a local psychiatrist who can be of help to you, you can contact Dr. Ramnik shah 1891 old XXXXXXX road CLARKSVILLE TN 37040. Its not an easy time for your son and you shoukd provide him as much support as you can during this period. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D. Ramnik B Shah MD 1891 Old XXXXXXX Rd Clarksville, TN 37040