Is soreness and over growth of taste buds a sign of cancer?

Hi, I have a over growth of taste buds and it feels a bit sore. Also the inner lining of my mouth feels odd. Could it be cancer?
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Most probably a vitamin B12 deficicency Detailed Answer: Hello sir and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. I doubt this is cancer, and the most common cause for such a presentation is a vitamin B12 deficiency. Other symptoms of a vitamin B12 deficiency can be: -Numbness or tingling sensation especially in the hands and feet -Pale skin -Bleeding gums -Weakness -Rapid heartbeat -Diarrhea or constipation -Weight loss -Mood changes and a few other symptoms. Other less common causes for a presentation similar to yours can be: -Wearing of braces -Tobacco chewing -Smoking -Vegetarian diet -Stress -Increased exposure to sun -Infections -Drinking or eating hot food or drinks and a few other causes. Cancer is not likely to be the cause at all sir. Please visit a doctor and request for a serum vitamin B12 test. Once a deficiency is confirmed, treatment with vitamin B12 supplements is recommended. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.