Is sharp pain from ankle to calf due to high BP?

45 female with high blood pressure on medication. I suddenly have had a sharp raidating pain from my ankle to my calf. it happens only when I have been sitting for a while and start walking. Once I continue walking the pains stop. It is sharpest at the inital step
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I will try to give you some information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

The most likely cause of the symptoms which are experiencing in your leg would be a musculoskeletal cause. This would be like a pulled muscle or possibly a strange attendant.

We must not forget the other more worrisome possibility of your symptoms which is that of a small blood clot in the leg. This is referred to as a XXXXXXX venous thrombosis. The most common symptom of a XXXXXXX venous thrombosis is pain in the calf.

The only real way to evaluate and rule out a possible blood clot would be for you to have an ultrasound of your lower extremity performed. Along these lines I recommend that you visit with your primary care provider as soon as possible. If you are unable to see your doctor within the next day or so I recommend you proceed to the nearest emergency department for evaluation. The reason why I recommend this is because XXXXXXX venous thrombosis can sometimes travel to the lawns and create what we know as a pulmonary embolism. This can be a potentially life-threatening condition.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. I hope you understand my concern and that you proceed to your doctors office as soon as possible. If you have any additional questions I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga