Is schizophrenia hereditary if there is no alcohol, drugs and smoking involved?

is schitzophrenia hereditary if theres no alcohol, drugs,prescription drugs or smoking involved
Posted Fri, 6 Sep 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

Schizophrenia is not hereditary. it is the combination of genetic and environmental factors.

Having a family member puts you at a slightly higher risk rate than the rest of the general population but does not necessarily mean you would have schizophrenia. Also, not having a family member with schizophrenia does not mean that you cannot develop schizophrenia.

Environmental factors that contribute to schizophrenia include infections while in the womb(certain viruses) and low birth weight , older paternal age, taking psychoactive drugs during adolescence and young adulthood.

Hope this helps and addresses your query fully. If you have follow up questions, please feel free to ask me and I will gladly address them.
I wish you well.
Dr. Ditah, MD