Is right bundle branch block benign?

The cohort study of coppenhagen city has determined that rbbb is not so benign or innocent in the absence of underlying cause. Please advise if this study is reliable and does it negate all previous studies. Is my benign complete RBBB (as told to me by cardio doc) with qrs : 126 now not benign at all and with bad prognosis as per the new coppenhagen study ??
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the answer below... Detailed Answer: Hi, I read your query very carefully. The Coppenhagen city heart study has shown that the presence of RBBB was associated with increased cardiovascular risk and all-cause mortality. However these are data from a cohort study that need to be confirmed in other randomized studies and should be taken in consideration with reserves. Those findings suggest that in asymptomatic individuals (as you) with RBBB the clinicians should be alerted for increased cardiovascular risk. So further examination are needed for proper evaluation of present cardiac risk and a closed follow up is needed. I recommend to do the following exams every year: - Cardiac ECHO - Holter monitoring - Stress test Hope it answered to your query! Dr.Benard
Follow-up: Is right bundle branch block benign? 57 minutes later
Thank you for your answer. I have read the Coppenhagen study and i have already done a stress and echo test and did not show anything in particular. I have seen several doctors and the rbbb was called benign and of no medical significance. However, the coppenhagen study made me feel worried again and if the study is accurate then the increase of mortality risk would be 36 percent as it was concluded. I would like to know if after you have read the coppenhagen study would you as doctor never call an rbbb benign again? Does this study supersede all previous studies ? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 5 hours later
Brief Answer: A definite diagnosis won't rely only on 1 study... Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. Please take note that the one you are referring to is only a study which is emphasizing the fact of further evaluations before giving the final conclusion of RBBB. Usually, one study only won't give definite conclusions until other studies will confirm or not its conclusions. Furthermore, it does not mean it is a malignant pathology what you are experiencing, however, further examinations are needed. This study does not supersede all previous studies but let space for further studies to be carried out to run into a final conclusion. Hope it was of help! Dr.Benard