Is preventative surgery the solution for testicular torsion?

Jul 2016

A month ago I had a shooting pain in my left testicle. I saw a urologist who told me that he thinks I had testicle torsion, but it seems to have corrected itself. I am struggling to believe something that happened 4 weeks ago can still be causing intermittent pain now. He wants to do preventative surgery to prevent this from happening again. Also, an ultrasound showed small cysts on each testicle and an epidomlyl cyst as well. But he does not think those things are causing the issue. The pain seems to have subsided in the past week, but I can still feel "something is not right". It is almost as if my left testicle is "not in it's right place" or "is sideways or upside down". I am thinking I need a second opinion, but don't want to hear "preventative surgery" again without some more certain evidence of the actual issue.
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Was a testicular torsion a confirmed diagnosis? Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you had severe pain in left testicle and your Urologist suspected it to be a Torsion of the testis which got untwisted itself relieving your symptoms. I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem. 1) Was pain in testis associated with pain in abdomen.and vomiting ? 2) How long the pain lasted for before you got relief? 3) Was the testicle swollen or enlarged? 4) Was testis torsion confirmed by doing Ultrasound scanning or it was diagnosed only on clinical examination ? It is possible sometimes if the twist is not complete it may get untwisted and one gets relief from pain what is called as Detorsion of the testis..In such a situation chances of getting testicular torsion in future are high and may cause permanent damage to the testis. If your urologist who has examined you earlier is sure about incomplete torsion it is safe and advisable to go for surgery and get it fixed to prevent it from getting twisted again. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.