Is post-exposure tetanus prophylaxis shot required for dog scratch/bite after rabies shot?

Hello Sir, My son just got scratch / bite on face by dog 3hrs back, it was bleeding as well, I cleaned with dettol AND immediately gone for rabies vaccine (Rabipur) injection. should I also go for the tetanus injection ? Pls. help and advice . best regards, XXXX
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes sir, given in open wounds Detailed Answer: Hello Mr. XXXXXXX and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. In cases with an open wound we do advise the post-exposure tetanus prophylaxis shot as well which can also be taken at any clinic or hospital, so please go ahead with this if your son has not received a tetanus shot anytime in the last 2 years. It is a good thing you have taken your son for the administration of the rabies vaccine immediately. I also hope they have provided you with the regimen of administration of the post-exposure vaccination: -Day 0 -Day 3 -Day 7 -Day 14 -Day 30 Also unless totally required, we do not dress or close any wounds caused by animal bites, so please make sure this wound is not dressed or closed. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.