Is poly iron capsules easily absorbed in the body?

Is poly iron 150mg capsules very absorbable to the body? How many mg of elemental iron is poly iron 150mg capsules?
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rudramani Swami 3 hours later

Usually poly iron 150 mg capsule contain 150 mg of elemental iron whereas other iron containing capsules like ferrous fumarate contain almost half of elemental iron.

Therefore, poly iron 150mg capsule gives good amount of elemental iron as compared to others.

However, a dose 200 to 300 mg elemental iron will lead to absorption of iron up to 50 mg /day.

I hope I have answered your query, feel free to ask further queries if any.

Follow-up: Is poly iron capsules easily absorbed in the body? 1 hour later
Dr. Rudramani, Thank for the reply,

I have seen some people that are taking 325mg ferrous sulfate(65mg iron) twice or three times a day.
If you are taking 325mg ferrous sulfate(65mg iron) how much can you absorb?
Answered by Dr. Rudramani Swami 4 hours later

As I said before, if anyone takes 200 to 300 mg of elemental iron 50 mg of iron will get absorbed.

Absorption of iron also depends upon gastric acidity (that's called as gastric pH) and also phytate (green vegetable have high phytate level) level in the blood. If phytate levels are high then absorption of iron will be less. Simultaneously taking iron capsule on empty stomach when gastric pH is high increases absorption. However taking it on empty stomach can cause gastric irritation.

The best would be to follow the advice given by the treating doctor.

Hope this answer your query. Feel free to ask further queries if any.
If all the queries are answered, please close this discussion.