Is peripheral neuropathy caused by multiple sclerosis?

Question
Is peripheral neuropathy caused by ms
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: NO Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. Peripheral neuropathy is not caused by Multiple sclerosis. Peripheral neuropathy is caused by diseases like diabetes, auto immune disorder, alcoholism, vitamin deficiency, trauma to the nerve, etc. MS is caused by a disease condition originating in the brain or spinal cord. This causes sudden neurological symptoms which fluctuate over time and cannot be linked to a specific area in the brain or spinal cord. I hope this helps and answers your query fully. I wish you well. If there is any more information or details you would have loved concerning this, please ask a specific quest and I will gladly address it. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD

Follow-up: Is peripheral neuropathy caused by multiple sclerosis? 25 minutes later
What are symptoms of peripheral neuropathy also can a emg test determine if it is peripheral neuropathy

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 17 hours later
Brief Answer: Thanks for following up with me! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for following up with me. Most common symptoms of peripheral neuropathy include, gradual onset of numbness and tingling in your feet or hands, which may spread upward into your legs and arms, burning pain, sharp jabbing or electric-like pain, extreme sensitivity to touch, even light touch etc. EMG is used mainly to tell whether the weakness is related to the muscles or nerve damage. Otherwise, this diagnosis is mainly established through a complete description of symptoms, review of medical history and good physical examination. I hope this addresses your query fully. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD.

Follow-up: Is peripheral neuropathy caused by multiple sclerosis? 4 hours later
Can peripheral neuropathy cause a vibrating sensation in feet and legs

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Pleease, what do you refer to as vibrating sensati Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for this follow up. Please, could you describe these symptoms so that I can understand exactly what you mean by vibrating? If that refers to fasciculation, then it may rather be related to muscle contractions. Is it all the times or intermittent? Is it visible to the naked eyes or you simple feel so? Thanks and hope to hear from you and provide more insight to this. Dr. Ditah, MD.

Follow-up: Is peripheral neuropathy caused by multiple sclerosis? 2 hours later
I feel it the vibrating not visible

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 31 hours later
Brief Answer: It is moe likely of peripheral neuropathy Detailed Answer: It could be peripheral neuropathy if it is all about sensation and no visible movements. To confirm these symptoms, make a diagnose and manage your condition appropriately , it would be nice to follow up with your treating doctor. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask for more clarifications if need be. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD.