Is nitrofurantoin as effective as Flagyl for treating diverticulitis?

General Surgeon
Question
Is nitrofurantoin as effective as flagyl for treating diverticulitis?
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: No, it is not. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. No, it is not. Nitrofurantoin is not even an antibiotic. It is chemotherapeutic what means that it does not kill bacteria, just prevents them from growing. Moreover nitrofurantoin does not penetrates to tissues, just works in the urine. So Flagyl is much more effective and can not be replaced by Nitrofurantoin. Please also note that you should not treat diverticulitis by yourself. Every diverticulitis brings risk of intestine perforation that is why medical attention is necessary. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.

Follow-up: Is nitrofurantoin as effective as Flagyl for treating diverticulitis? 5 minutes later
Sounds like i need to visit another doctor, then. I mentioned to the doctor i saw today that I'd had lots of trouble with Flagyl, and he prescribed this instead. Should I find an urgent care to visit for this over the weekend, or can it wait til Monday? I am also taking cipro. Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Ciprofloxacine 500 mg twice a day can deal with diverticulitis. Sometimes it is enough and Flagyl is not necessary. So you can try it and see if your symptoms are improving. If strong abdominal pain, fever, nausea, vomiting will appear, you should go to er. Otherwise er is not necessary. You should also avoid solid foods for a day or two. Have liquid diet like soup, tea and water. Regards

Follow-up: Is nitrofurantoin as effective as Flagyl for treating diverticulitis? 2 minutes later
Should I discontinue the nitrofurantoin, then? I do not have a bladder infection.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Weak tissues penetration makes it completely useless in case of diverticulitis or any other than bladder infection. So no reason to continue it. Regards