Is my daughter's upper respiratory and sinus infection related to my sore throat?

My throat is sore and my ears pop when I swallow and I just noticed what looks like fluid and bruises on the upper cartilage of my left ear. My daughter just had upper respiratory and sinus infection two weeks ago. Related? Also I just traveled up to somewhere that was 7000 feet above sea level yesterday but am back now. Not sure if that is related either.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 34 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Ear popping is due to pressure changes inside and outside of the eardrum because of air bubble formation and the most common cause of it is travelling high altitude,diving underwater or even driving a car.It can aggravate from conditions as nasal allergy,cold and sinus infection.It might be that you had some infection caught from your daughter.
Some suggestions for you:
Try swallowing,yawning and chewing gum which will help relieve the air pressure.
If they do not help then do this:
Pinch your nostrils shut.
Fill your mouth with air.
Use your throat and facial muscles to throw the air back into the nostrils with full force.If a loud popping sound comes then it indicates that ear has opened up.Do it several times in a day.
You can take decongestant tablets and nasal sprays also if available OTC as they would help in opening the blockage.
If all of the above does not help at all then consider visiting your Primary Physician for evaluation.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow up query if any.