Is my BP good or bad?

66 years old. My bp is 156 over 80. Good or bad?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 3 hours later

For your age, a blood pressure reading of 156/80 would certainly be regarded as a high systolic (upper reading) blood pressure. I would suggest that you consult your primary care provider who can measure your blood pressure repeatedly over a period of 6 months and decide whether to initiate treatment.

I would also suggest the following lifestyle modifications till then:
•     Restrict your salt intake to a maximum of 1 tsp a day.
•     Engage in moderate physical activity for 50 minutes 5 times a week.
•     Try using more spices and less salt in your food.
•     Try and maintain a healthy weight.
•     Immediately consult your physician/ visit the Emergency room if your systolic blood pressure rises to > 180 mm Hg.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if there are no further queries.