Is loss of libido a side effect of Onlgyza?

Question
how does onlgyza affect libido? My libido is down to zero and I think it may be due to this medicine
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 4 hours later

Onlgyza is used for glycemic control in type 2 Diabetes but loss of libido is not a reported side effect of this drug. It is unlikely for this drug to cause loss of libido.

It is true that diabetes can cause sexual dysfunction due to problems with erections due to damage to nerves or blood vessels supplying the penis, poor blood sugar control (not there in your case) and stress or fear of not being able to achieve an erection but diabetes as such does not affect your sex drive, instead, it affects just your erectile functions.

If you are having a low libido, then first cause in your case can be your age. With advancing age, there is a lack of libido in men.

Another cause from your history is of thyroid disease and hypertension (history of Enalapril intake). Both these conditions can cause loss of libido. Get your blood pressure monitored and your thyroid status checked from your physician.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Follow-up: Is loss of libido a side effect of Onlgyza? 11 hours later
¿What can you tell me on the same subject about Xatral? Incidentally I have a 1.3 level of PA

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 16 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Xatral can cause impotence and priapism (a prolonged painful erection) but loss of libido is not a reported side effect of this drug. I didn’t understand what you meant by "1.3 level of PA", you mean to say PSA (prostate specific antigen)? And fewer than 4 nanograms are considered normal.