Is keeping pregnancy a good idea when overweight?

Hi, My wife is one month pregnant and this has happened due to contrceptive failure. She is 31yrs of age and weighs 75 kgs. She had joined a gym and has a personal trainer who is helping her in loosing weight. We had thought that it would be imp to loose 10-15 kgs before planning a pregnancy. She had got pregnant last year also but due to some crisis in family we took a decision to abort the pregnancy. With this unplanned pregnancy we are now confused. Should she abort it and concentrate on first loosing weight?
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 4 hours later
Brief Answer: keeping pregnancy is personal decision Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome to health care magic. The 75 kg body weight is not a contraindication for pregnancy provided that the height of your wife is above 5 feet and 5 inches so that there is no cephalo- pelvic disproportion related issues during delivery. It is not advisable to reduce weight during pregnancy but she should make sure that she does activities of daily life and has light exercises and takes balanced diet with low saturatdd fat content. Because she is overweight she must get the base line investigations like complete blood counts, renal function test and antinatal check up under the care of a qualified gynecologist of your locality. I hope the advice will be helpful for you.
Follow-up: Is keeping pregnancy a good idea when overweight? 23 hours later
Thank you doctor. Also one more thing I forget to mention. Before we came to know of this pregnancy, just last week my wife got her vitamin d3 test done and her levels are just 9 ng/ml. Her doctor suggested three vit d injections (arachitol-3L 7.5 mg) one every week for 3 weeks followed by calciferol XXXXXXX for 8 weeks. With the pregnancy, should she take these injections or the sachets or can she take a pill? With such low bit vit d will it affect growth of baby or cause problems to her? What should we do?
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 17 hours later
Brief Answer: Should continue her injections Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Welcome back. Low calcium or vitamin-D level will not affect fetus in early pregnancy. However when pregnancy advances mother will keep on more vitamin-D, calcium deficient & she can undergo preterm labour pains. So she should continue her calciferol XXXXXXX & injections to make a baseline level. I hope your query has been answered. Regards,