Is itchy red bump on buttocks an STD ?

Question
hi. I am male, 37 years old. I'm experiencing a itchy red bump on buttock, which looks and feels like an insect bite. It started a few weeks ago, the morning after sexual contact with someone, and now has recurred. What could cause this? could it be an STD? thanks
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 46 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Red bump on the buttock can be due to any infection,allergy,inflamed hair follicle etc.

Since you have a history of sexual contact a possibility of a Herpes,genital wart can be suspected.

Consider visiting a Physician for clinical examination and request for investigations as Blood Profile to rule out any Sexually Transmitted diseases.

Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
1)Apply warm compresses on the bump and observe for any changes.
2)Keep the area clean with topical antiseptic application.
3)You can apply topical creams like Neosporin or Bactroban after consulting your Primary Physician.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up.

Follow-up: Is itchy red bump on buttocks an STD ? 5 hours later
Ok.. actually the spot on my buttock appeared the morning after contact with the lady.. but I thought its a mosquito bite.. very itchy and went away after a few days.
Few weeks later it could be the same spot, but not entirely sure.. could also be in the opposite buttock.. :-) I've moved to a hot place - Jakarta, and quite sweaty alot of the time through playing tennis etc and no aircon. I guess it may be lots of reasons for such things as well as bite. The spot doesnt seem to have any head, but quite sore and itchy this morning. Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 2 hours later

Thanks for the follow up

It is rare to immediately get an infection after an overnight exposure.It seems to be due to excessive heat or may be an insect bite.
Kindly follow the suggestions which I have advised and you can apply Calamine lotion for relief from itching.Do not let sweat accumulate and keep the area dry and clean.
If the symptoms worsen or there is no improvement even after 5 days consider visiting your Primary Physician for evaluation.

Wishing you Good health!