Is it safe to walk with a stress fracture in hip?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi. I'm a 74 yr. old female and have had a hip stress fracture since Dec. 17 from too much walking. It's feeling better now, but pain not gone. Can I walk on it a little to strenghen it or exercise lightly, or not?
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
Brief Answer: hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: If this was stress fracture without bone instability then you should walk with crutches in first 4 weeks and rest as much as possible. From 4-6 week you can walk moderately but avoid jumping and weight lifting while standing. After 8 week bone should be 80% recovered and pain my persist for 12-16 weeks usually. Also pain may persist longer especially after physical activity and wheather changes but it should be possible to treat such pain with standard painkillers. All this time it is recommended to strengthen your pelvic and femoral muscles.these exercises can be done in bed. It is important to strengthen m.quadriceps. you should not be passive. You need to avoid long sitting and laying as it can cause serious lung problems and blood clotting. Wish you good health. feel free to ask. Regards