Is it safe to use tobramycin/dexametha for infected stye on my eye?

I'm nursing a 7 month old and possibly in the conception stage of pregnancy . I have an infected stye on my eye and started using tobramycin/dexametha. Should I be concerned about using this
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Cori Baill 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Eye drops much safer than oral route Detailed Answer: Tobramycin is available in many forms. When used with dexamethasone in the form of an eyedrop very little is absorbed systemically. The medicine is mostly in the eyes. It does not carry the same risk as when ingested orally. When you look at the official FDA ranking it is considered category C. that means that benefit usually outweighs risks when there's a disease process that requires treatment. Very few medications are considered safe in pregnancy because very few research studies have been done in pregnant women obviously because the baby can't consent. But I don't think you have anything to worry about either for the nursing child or for possible conception. I hope you're eye improves rapidly and you feel better soon.