Is it safe to use robotic for hysterectomy?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
thinking of using robotic for this hysterectomy operation is this a safe procedure, I'm concern because I've heard there are lawsuits against this.
Posted Sun, 5 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. Histerectomy is a routine procedure today and complications are very rarely reported in any type of surgery: open procedure,laparoscopic or robotic. Open surgery is safe too but it has longer postoperative recovery and bigger scar. Laparoscopy and robotic histerectomy have similar results,but robotic is considered to be more safe,although I am not sure is there some significant advantage. However,you should not be afraid of hysterectomy. Lawsuits were based mainly on complications which are general and are not caused by robot or laparoscopy. Such complications are rare as I said, and it has standard rate so it cant be avoided. This is usually postoperative pain,wound infection or vaginal discharge. Lawsuits were started mainly because of profit and there are no studies that confirm robots' disadvantage. Of course, find experienced surgeon and do it in appropriate institution. I am sure that there wont be any problem at all. This is very common procedure and you shouldnt be afraid. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards