Is it safe to use Lyrica for experiencing pain due to spinal cord injury?

May 2014

i had a fall >10yrs ago since i have had 3 back operations(preopertive diagnosis: Instability L5-S1 w / grade 2 spondylolisthesis.) daily I'm in chronic p ain/ work's comp. case the I was taking for my pain was percocet and duragesic it help to maintain my level of pain from (1-10 ) at approx. 6-7. they cut my meds to zero now they want me to start a regiment of taking Lyrica 50mg 3x's daily this med. if i understand it right it is one of the meds that used to treat other Ilinesses I was not wean form the percocet or duragesic patch of 50mg.or the percocet.
Posted Thu, 27 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Lyrica given in spinal cord injury Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. Lyrica is pregabalin and is being routinely used in paients experiencing pain due to spinal cord injury. There is significant improvement in neuropathic pain noted by patients after taking lyrica. I suppose that is the reason why you were given the medication. There is no harm in taking it though the extent of pain relief might differ for every person. I suggest you to start this medicine and keep close watch on your pain relief for a few weeks and keep your doctor informed. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek