Is it safe to use I-glutathione capsules for skin whitening? Can vitamin C be taken along with it?

Average

Dermatologist
Question
Hello. I would like to know whether it is safe to use l-glutathione capsules(1000mg/day) orally as a skin whitening agent to lighten the skin tone along with a dosage of vitamin C(1000mg/day).Please let me know whether it is recommended to take it.
Posted Tue, 5 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 47 minutes later
Dear Ms. XXXXXXX

Glutathione is the latest thing in market to tackle pigmentation.
It is often prescribed with Vitamin C and though much has been said and written about the capsules, wide spread studies are not there to authenticate the claims.
The drug is expensive and though should not cause any side effects, the effects seems to be more of a gimmick than reality.

Both the components are natural body products and don’t cause any harm. If in excess vitamin C is excreted in urine and hence if money is not a problem, one can try the same for at least 3 months to see a visible effect.

Dr.Rohit Batra

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 30 minutes later

thanks for writing in.

l-glutathione is getting a lot of attention as a whitening agent.

Pleas be informed that there is no scientific evidence for its efficacy.

There is no treatment available which lightens the skin colour beyond its natural tone.

We do prescribe Oral vitamin C to patients of melasma or post acne pigmentation but not for skin lightening as such.

Safety of vitamin C has been established but not for Glutathione.

In a nutsheel Vit C and glutathione are not recommended for skin lightening.

Thanks

Follow-up: Is it safe to use I-glutathione capsules for skin whitening? Can vitamin C be taken along with it? 1 minute later
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your reply.Can you please let me know if a 1000mg dosage of the glutathione capsule +1000mg vitamin C a recommeded dosage to take on a per day basis.If the doasge is doubled i.e. 2000mg of each is taken on a per day basis is it too much or also advisable.

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 26 hours later
Dear Ms. XXXXXXX
Thanks for your follow up query.
As pointed out earlier there is no scientific rationale behind the treatment and as excess of Vitamin C is excreted in urine there should be no side effect but still I would request you not to take double dose.

Dr.Rohit Batra