Ask a Dentist   »  

Is it safe to take slightly hot food after wisdom teeth extraction?

Dentist
Question
I had one upper wisdom tooth removed today at the regular dentist. This was at 9:30 am. It's now 8:45 pm and I am wondering when it's okay to eat slightly warmed food such as XXXXXXX warm soup. for example a package of cup a soup chicken noodle with the little noodles. When would it be okay to eat something like this? I'm starving.
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: you can eat now Detailed Answer: Hello There, Welcome to XXXXXXX Forum, I would like to ask you few questions. Do you have any pain or bleeding at the site? Have you taken something cold like ice cream, juice few hours after surgery? Consuming something cold hastens the healing process. As you have mentioned that it is more than eleven hours after the surgery & if the bleeding is stopped you can surely take the soup (lukewarm) see that its not too hot, and yes chicken noodles too provided it is soft and not very hot. I would also suggest you to follow the post extraction instructions given to you properly, take complete course of antibiotics and analgesics, take lukewarm saline rinses 3-4 times a day and antiseptic mouthwash gargles twice. If you are having swelling at the site apply ice packs externally, this will be beneficial. Hope you find this as helpful, WISHING YOU HEALTHY RECOVERY! Take care! Dr Qazi Ammara.

Follow-up: Is it safe to take slightly hot food after wisdom teeth extraction? 31 minutes later
I've had a bit of XXXXXXX sauce and some frozen yogurt. nothing substantial. The bleeding has stopped it stopped a while ago. I am following instructions given to me but there was nothing available to me regarding when to eat.

Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: you can take the soup now Detailed Answer: Thanks for the prompt reply, I understand your concern. After the surgery, usually after 2-3 hours something cold like an ice cream is to be taken. After few hours, you can take anything soft, soupy, which is not hot, take care you do not use the side for chewing. So you can safely take the soup now! Take care! Dr Qazi Ammara.

Follow-up: Is it safe to take slightly hot food after wisdom teeth extraction? 23 minutes later
Thank you very much for your help and advice. I am a sufferer of anxiety and even with my medication I worry sometimes. I just didn't want to do anything that could cause dry socket or make me more susceptible to getting that. Thanks again.

Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: not to worry Detailed Answer: Welcome back, I would suggest you to avoid anxiety, stress and take complete rest. To avoid dry socket i would suggest you to avoid vigorous gargling, eat soft diet and chew slowly. Also take lukewarm saline and antiseptic mouthwash rinses. Don't worry your socket will heal in sometime. Regards, Dr Qazi Ammara.