Is it safe to take hydroxeurea for chronic myelomonocytic leukemia?
User rating for this question
Is Hydroxeurea advised for people over 60 with Cmml? Can this drug kill?
Posted Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in Blood Cancer(Leukemia)
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that Hydroxyurea is the drug of choice to control cell proliferation and to reduce organomegaly in patients with CMML. The drug choice depends on the staging of cancer and othe comorbidities so treatment is always individualised . Hydroxy urea is a widely used drug and it cannot kill someone . It can lead to nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, constipation, mucositis, alopecia most commonly . There exist a risk for leukemia but that is very low. Keep faith in your treating doctor as he is the best judge for your situation . Take care. Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Is it safe to take hydroxeurea for chronic myelomonocytic leukemia? 15 minutes later
cmml is leukemia so how can a drug be prescribed that causes leukemia to a patient already diagnosed with it????
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Hydroxyurea has been used primarily for the treatment of myeloproliferative diseases, which has an inherent risk of transforming to acute myeloid leukemia that is it can convert it to to active form but long term studies show that the risk is negligible . Dr. Shruti
People also viewed
- Ovacare forte and folic acid
- Is it safe to take hydroxeurea for chronic myelomonocytic leukemia
- Folic acid is slowly making melasma lighter
- Can i take hydrea for leukemia, chronic granulocytic ?
- Does shortness of breath signify acute myelogenous leukemia ?
- Chronic neutrophilic leukemia causes
- Does weight loss signify chronic lymphocytic leukemia?
- Norcutin with acid folic
- Hashimotos disease and chronic leukemia
- Are enlarged, but painless, lymph nodes symptoms of chronic lymphocytic leukemia?
- Orange urine folic acid
- Can folic acid miss your period
- What are the symptoms of acute lymphocytic leukemia?
- Chronic myelogenous leukemia causes
- Can my shortness of breath be due to acute lymphocytic leukemia?