Is it safe to take chemo and hormonal therapy at the same time?

Hello Doctor, is it OK to give Chemo and Hormone therapy at the same time ?
My mother has breast cancer (carcinoma left breast) and this is also metastatic. On the immunohistochemistry report she is reported over 90% cells estrogen receptor positive and 5% cells progesterone receptor positive and the HEr-2/neu is negative with a score of 1+.
Posted Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 15 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

It is not advisable to give chemo and hormonal therapy at the same time. Usually they are given sequentially. If she is on paclitaxel and tolerating it with good response then I would give it for 4-6 cycles and then change to hormone therapy.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer follow-up queries, if any.