Is it safe to take another shingles vaccine injection if I have taken earlier?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
I don't know whether I've had a shingles injection. Can I get another injection?
Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Vaccinations
Answered by Dr. Sheeba Stephen 3 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

It should be okay to take another Shingles vaccine injection as long as:
- You have not had an injection in the last 4 weeks, and
- You have not developed an allergic reaction to the vaccine (if you had taken it before).

Shingles vaccine is recommended for use in people 60 years old and older to prevent shingles. It is a single dose vaccine. Shingles is a severe skin rash which occurs due to the reactivation of the chicken pox virus. So, anyone who has been exposed to chicken pox before can have a risk of developing shingles. The older a person is, the more severe the effects of shingles typically are, so it is recommended that all adults 60 years old or older should get the shingles vaccine.

I hope I have answered your query.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Sheeba Stephen