Is it safe to take Percocet and Flexeril prior to cervical disk replacement surgery?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Good Evening, I am currently scheduled for cervical disk replacement surgery. The date is 2 or 3 weeks out and the discomfort is considerable. Is taking Percocet and Flexeril an acceptable combination?
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsines Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. Using oxycodone [Percocet] together with cyclobenzaprine [ Flexeril] may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. I wouldn't recommend both the drugs in patients if there is no need. I would instead adjust dosage of the drugs. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. I will advise to consult your doctor before taking combination of these medications. You can take neurotropics like methylcobalamine with pregabalin for disc pain or increase dose frequency of percocet. Good wishes for your disc surgery. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care