Is it safe to take Flucloxacillin and Amoxicillin together?

General Surgeon
I have been given flucloxacillin for a skin infection and amoxicillin for an abcess in my tooth. Is it ok to take them atsame time?
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Yes, you can take them together. There is no interaction between this two medicines. But you need to know that the effect of both antibiotics is similar as both belong to similar chemical group. Moreover amoxicillin is not the best choice for abscess treatment. Much more effective is Clindamicin (which is also good for skin infection). That is why I suggest you to consult this with your doctor as most likely you need one, not two antibiotics. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.