Is it safe to take AF-KIT if parter is having infection in vagina?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
Hello Doctor,

I have been advised to take AF-KIT by doctor as my girl friend is going through some infection in her vagina. Is it fine for me to take this medicine as i dont have any infection or complication? does it have any side effects? kindly advise
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 55 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query here.

Look, AF-KIT contains an antibiotic, an antifungal and an antimicrobial agent. This kit will cure any infection that is present in your body which may get transmitted to your girlfriend through sexual intercourse, or which has already been transmitted from your girlfriend.

The infection may not be obvious in your body. The organism may be silent in you. But you can act as a source of infection.

So, you can take this drug. But, the side effects are like gastrointestinal problems like nausea, vomiting, acidity and allergic reactions.

So, you should take a pantoprazole group of drug before taking the medicine. An ondansetron group of drug may be considered if you experience any vomiting.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Is it safe to take AF-KIT if parter is having infection in vagina? 28 hours later
Hello Doctor again,

1)Wanted to know as i always used condom, is there still a chance for me to get infected. 2) Doctor advised my girl friend for myself to take af-kit ( monday - 1 tablet - tuesday another one & wed 2 white tab together)after food at night n then repeat it the same way next week with another kit, in all suggested me to take 2 kits. I hope it is not strong & affect me negatively. I m bit concerned. Request you to reply asap as i wld be taking it tonite. I would be highly oblized to u.

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later

Thank you for writing back.

I am giving your answers one by one.

1. Look, you can transmit or get any STDs by foreplays and even by oral sex. So, it is a misconception that condoms prevent STDs entirely. It is only effective for STDs transmitted during intercourse. But during foreplay and oral sex, you have chances to get infected or can transmit a STD.

2. Look, the kit, not only cure any infections you have but it will cure any infections that has already been transmitted from your partner. So, these medicines will lower the chance of getting this type of infection in future.

You have to follow the instructions given by the doctor. There is low chance of side effects. But except side effects of these drugs, there will be no negative effect.

Hope, you have your answers.

Regards.

Follow-up: Is it safe to take AF-KIT if parter is having infection in vagina? 22 hours later
Thank you so much Doctor

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 9 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

If you do not have any more question, you can close this discussion.

Rating and review given by you will be appreciated.

Regards.