Is it safe to have sex during pregnancy?

I am almost 8 week pregnant. Today for the first time since I am pregnant I pleasured myself without any penetration. I stimulated my clitoris. My orgasm was wonderful. I did not have any sign of cramping nor spotting. Note that I was asked to stay in bed to keep my pregnancy going.

I was told it was ok and that I did not do anything to endanger the baby. Can you please confirm either way?

As a broader question, can my partner and I engage in safe sensual/sexual foreplay by stimulating my clitoris and caressing my body w/o any penetration? Is is safe for the baby?

Please forgive me if I am a bit direct. In order to get the right answer I believe asking the right questions as directly as possible is a must. I trust this to be acceptable.

Thanks in advance for your great help!
Posted Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Kappan 27 hours later

I appreciate the effort you have taken to ask this query. You are right in asking a detailed question directly. That helps in answering your query to your satisfaction.

It is safe to have sex during pregnancy. You may have to be cautious if you had a previous history of miscarriage. Your baby is well protected within the muscles of your abdomen, uterus and additionally the amniotic fluid. So there is no need to worry. Foreplay and caressing by your partner is safe too.

Hope I have answered your question. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.