Is it safe to go for another TIFFA screening again in 24 weeks of pregnancy?

Hello Ma'am, Hope you are doing well. I have consulted you before multiple times regarding my pregancy. I am starting with my 24 weeks today. I had an TIFFA scan done on January 6th (20 weeks + 5 days) but my husband is not very satisfied with the doctor who did the scan. Our regular doctor cancelled the appointment the previous evening, so we did not get chance to wait. Is it safe to go for another TIFFA screening again in this week? I am due for another scan in the 28th week. Can it be harmful for the baby or will TIFFA be effective in the 24th week? Please suggest.
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 hours later
Brief Answer: You may get it repeated if needed. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Hope you are doing fine. TIFFA scan is usually done between 18-22 weeks. You may get it repeated if you wish to and there is no harm in doing so. It is as effective as earlier sonograms. The reason for doing the scan early is to detect any anomalies early enough to plan further management. You can proceed with your scheduled sonogram at 28 weeks as usual. You can also discuss with your consultant if you really need to go for another TIFFA scan. Please do not worry; any major anomalies would be easily detected even by less experienced sonographers. Since nothing abnormal had been reported, it was most likely to be a normal scan; slight markers or blips are normal even in normal babies. Hope your query has been clarified. Please feel free to contact if you need any more information. I will be happy to help. regards, Shanti.V.