Is it safe to give amitriptyline and xanax for severe pain in neck that is radiating till head?

Nov 2013

I live with an 88 year old man who mild dementia and is on .025 mg of xanax He takes 1/2 tablet in the morning and 1 tablet before bedtime. He is also on aricept 5mg. He was on 10 mg but was having side effects this week so the doctor move the dose back to 5mg. at bedtime. He has a pinch nerve in his neck and in is in severe pain when he moves his neck. It radiates up his head. We went to the Er last night for pain and the head and neck ct was normal. They gave him a low dose of valium intervenous and sent us home. It did not do much good. He had pain today and I called the medical doctor and she ordered amitriptyline 10mg 1 tablet at bedtime and said to give the xanax and aricept at bedtime. Is this safe to give him all this mental medicine as amitriptyline is a antidepressed and a sedative medicine. Xanax and aricept are also claming medications. I do not want to make him sicker. I would appreciate your advice. The WWW.WWWW.WW website said not to give the aricept with the drug as it messes with the brain. Can you help me with these questions.
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please give aricept in the morning. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I appreciate your concern and your desire to give the best care to the elderly gentleman. Please give aricept in the morning after breakfast. Xanax and amitriptyline can be given in the night after dinner (at bedtime). I hope my reply has helped. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: My blog: