Is it safe to fly while having plantar calcaneal fracture?

My son jumped from a high curb on this past Friday evening, went to urgen care Saturday said he has a plantar calcaneal fracture. They put an ace bandage on with a hard cast like behind his leg and told him to see an orthopedic doctor. He has a flight this morning from Chicago to Utah, can he fly?
Posted Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
He can travel by airline, there is no hard contraindication for that, just make sure that he does not have any pneumothorax by getting an Xray chest.
If he had a fall from significant height then he should also undergo xray of pelvis and spine if not already done.
If his fracture calcaneum is not displaced then cast is sufficient but undisplaced calcaneal fractures are rare in fall from that much height.
If displaced then he may need an XXXXXXX fixation.
Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.
Wish you a good health.