Is it safe to drink lactare granules. What should be the dosage? Is there any side effects?

is lactare granules is safe to drink. both mother and baby.what is the dosage. i am 35 years old mother and this is my first child. i am breast feeding my baby and this lactare granules was recommended as i have less breastmilk. i am working. can you also suggest how to increase my lactation? thanks.
is there is any sideeffects in taking lactare granules. i am taking 2 teaspoon twice daily for past 3 weeks.
please advice me on using lactare granules and how to increase breast milk production any foods that increases the secretion of breast milk.
Posted Fri, 19 Oct 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I am sorry about the delay - I will try to help you with your question.

The lactare supplement contains several different herbs, including the most commonly used, Fenugreek. The usual dose (oral) is 250-3000 mg 2-3 times/day. In terms of the "granules" you would have to look at the label and see how many mg's were in a teaspoon.

While these herbs have been used for centuries, more recent data, though, show no evidence that these agents are more effective than interventions focused upon increasing the frequency of breastfeeding and improving breastfeeding technique

Inappropriate early feeding routines are the most common cause of insufficient milk production and intake by your newborn. They include infrequent feeding, poor latch-on and the use of supplemental formula.

Poor emptying of the breast may result in decreased milk production.

The primary intervention depends upon the cause but most often involves increasing the effectiveness and frequency of breastfeeding. ATTENTION TO THESE TWO POINTS HAS A PROVEN BENEFIT OVER ANY WESTERN MEDICATIONS OR NATURAL SUPPLEMENTS!

Use of breast pumps or manual hand expression especially after a feeding increases stimulation and emptying of the breast, thereby enhancing milk production. So if you have access to a pump, it might be of benefit to make this a part of the feeding - whereby after the baby has finished feeding, you use the pump to empty the breast fully.

If you have access to a nurse who specializes in breast-feeding, this would be the best thing that you can do for your continued success. Also, you must stay well hydrated and eat a healthy balanced diet.

I hope this helps!

Follow-up: Is it safe to drink lactare granules. What should be the dosage? Is there any side effects? 2 hours later
i have been following your intervention, however my milk production is still less and i have started to work. my main worry is, is it safe for both mother and baby.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 10 hours later
The lactare granules are not regulated in any way. Based on the fact that they have been used for 1000's of years is evidence that they are probably safe.

With regard to my recommendations, this will take days to see an improvement. I will stilll recommend coordinating your care moving forward with a nurse specializing in lactation.

I hope this further helps!
Follow-up: Is it safe to drink lactare granules. What should be the dosage? Is there any side effects? 57 minutes later
Diet that helps in increased milk production.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
There is no doubt that your diet and breast milk production are linked in terms of success. Besides increasing the number of calories that you would normally take in per day, here are some simple guidelines:

1. Continue to take your prenatal vitamins.
2. Eat a varied, balanced, good-quality diet.
3. Pay special attention to fluids - YOU MUST STAY HYDRATED
4. Avoid junk foods and empty calories

There is no specific diet or food that will increase milk production. It is more about eating a healthy diet, increasing calories, and drinking plenty of fluids.