Is it safe to continue hydroxycholoquine for RA during pregnancy?

I was diganosed with Ra this year july. I am presently 7 weeks pregnant. My Ra is well controlled and I dont have any symptoms. I was taking hydroxycholoquine 400mg before and once I found out I am pregnant I stopped. My questions a) Do my condition put any risk on my pregnancy b) Is it ok to continue with my medication or i should stop it for now.
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 10 hours later
Brief Answer: not much risk, you may discontinue medication. Detailed Answer: hi, patients with RA are generally not at much risk to pregnancy especially if their disease is well controlled when they conceive. It is generally seen that the disease tends to go into remission when patients get pregnant. If you are asymptomatic as far as your arthritis goes then you can discontinue medication esp as long as you are in your first trimester and only if you get symptomatic you may restart medicine. But you need to be careful after your delivery as the disease tends to flare a few weeks post partum. Also many of the medications for RA are contra indicated during lactation like methotrexate. So as such there is no risk.
Follow-up: Is it safe to continue hydroxycholoquine for RA during pregnancy? 23 minutes later
Ok but i hope it had not done any harm so far.. I heard medocone take month to drain out of system ... Because only last week i found out that i am 7 weeks pregnant
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: no risk with hcq Detailed Answer: Hi, If you were only on hydroxychloroquine there is no risk. However if you were on methotrexate there is a risk.